Friday, March 26, 2010

A New Day

I let this slip for a while... I'm now going to try *really* hard to get up a post a week.

I've got a laundry list of excuses (vacation, school, surgery), but what it really comes down to is I have a hard time imagining that people actually want to listen to what I have to say, about anything -- much less astronomy, which I confess I know very, very little about. I'm an enthusiastic fraud.

But...after today I've had, not exactly a change of heart, but a change of mind.
I had the opportunity to meet with Ann Marie Cunningham, the executive director of NPR's Science Friday Initiative, the non-profit partner of Science Friday  -- she gave a talk at Bridgewater State College about science, technology, and education.

The event didn't exactly go off as planned -- only one guest showed in addition to the organizers and myself -- but I got a lot out of it nonetheless. The smaller, more personal group allowed me one-on-one time with Ann Marie to chat about social media, the SFI, and our experiences with science education and promotion -- me as a student breaking in, she as an educator and journalist who's been doing this for years.

I told her about this semi-dead blog I started, and she really encouraged me to pick the reins back up again!
I'm not offering trendy gimics or a nice and neat schedule of features. 
I do promise to do at least one post a week, to share links when I find them, and to participate in webrings like the Carnival of Science. Scout's honor, webnag me if I lapse!

-- CS

No comments:

Post a Comment